With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK Flight Systems Group provides products and services that span the launch, missile systems and aerospace markets. We are a premier producer of solid rocket propulsion systems and specialty energetic products; a leading provider of small and medium class space launch vehicles for Civil, DoD and Commercial missions; a major supplier of interceptor boosters and target vehicles for missile defense; and a world class manufacturer of composite primary and secondary structures for commercial and military aircraft and launch vehicles.
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Orbital ATK is currently recruiting for an Operations Manager to work in our Clearfield, UT location.
Role Description & Responsibilities:
As an Operations Manager, you will manage a team of Operations Supervisors over our Aerospace Structures programs and will be responsible for the combined strategic (long-term) and tactical (short-term) management planning activities.
- Has overall responsibility for execution of Safety, Quality, Delivery, and Cost objectives, along with Employee Engagement for a large organizational unit with-in the Commercial Structures composites manufacturing group
- Strong focus on safe work environment, Zero Defects, and continuous improvement activities
- Manages both the strategic and short-term tactical activities of the work area
- Optimizes product flow, production rates, and product mix to meet customer demands, improve inventory turns and drive month over cost improvement
- Responsible for proactive resource management to mitigate production schedule risks
- Support a work environment characterized by employee involvement and participative management to encourage the highest level of employee commitment and cooperation
- Manage staffing levels in the plant to support customer requirements while maintaining efficient operations
Experience & Education Requirements:
- High School diploma and 8-10 years manufacturing experience with 5 years of leadership required
Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience managing 10 or more direct reports
- Demonstrated success managing and developing employees in a leadership role
- Proven experience with mid to high rate production programs
- Strong working knowledge of composites manufacturing processes
- Requires exceptional leadership skills and proven ability to lead a large team of employees
- Demonstrated consistent use of the following competencies: composure, delegating, interpersonal savvy, planning, time management, timely decision making, presentation skills, business acumen and managing through systems.
- Demonstrated use of production control tools (e.g., schedule, MRP, manpower forecasts)
- Demonstrated success in leading teams to consistently meet customer expectations (demand, quality and cost)
- Demonstrated commitment to creating and maintaining a safe work environment
- Understanding and use of root cause analysis
- Demonstrated success in maximizing resources and throughput
- Demonstrated ability to remove waste from production process
- Experience managing Supervisors over touch labor employees in an Operations organization
- Bachelor’s degree in management, engineering or other related disciplines
- Experience in implementing continuous improvement
- Experience in Manufacturing/Operations Leadership Financial / Business Acumen to include forecasting / labor / productivity / capacity planning Experience in Lean Manufacturing
Competencies for Success:
- Positive individual who is willing to expand current skill set, through schooling and training
- Strong interpersonal communication skills with ability to work with others at all levels of the organization
- Conflict management skills and negotiation skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy; excellent organizational skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced, diverse environment
- Initiative, self-starter, adaptable, and high motivation for excellence
- Motivator of people; coach
- Change agent with strong problem solving and decision-making skills
- High energy, results oriented, self-motivated / self-reliant, team player
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products – and your ideas – into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you’ll be amazed at what you can do!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background